From the 28th of December until the 4th of January, Revulsion FM has done the honourable task of putting on the biggest countdown show consisting of the top 2000 hardstyle tracks of all time! This week isn’t only about the countdown however, there’s a lot to keep your eye on such as interviews, guest mixes and who could forget about the label showcases!
On a very hungover New Year’s Day, I caught up with rough and raw duo, The Geminizers who were definitely on the ball. After their highly energetic guest-mix, I had the pleasure of sitting down with the guys to have a chat about life at The Magic Show, their upcoming “Motherfucking Godcore Tour” and their goals for the new year.
1. First of all, it’s New Year’s Day – how are you so energetic today?! Where the hell do you guys get all of this energy from?!
Mark: From our breakfast! *Laughs* No, that’s just who we are! Being within the music and being here together as friends too is what makes it so special.
Joost: It’s the best energy that there is!
2. Okay! Let’s get down to business. Yesterday I came across a photo of you guys working with Warface in the studio. Can you tell me a little more about this?
It was photoshopped… *Laughs*
No, actually we went to the guys from Warface for a collab, we have been talking about it for quite a while and it was time to make it happen!
3. What was your interest to work in the studio with Warface?
Well, last year we developed a huge respect for these guys. When we went over for the collab in January of 2014, Warface barely had any bookings and look at him now – it’s incredible! Not only that, but we also really like the guys from Warface, we always chat to them at parties and we also really support their music so it was kind of obvious for us to jump in the studio with them!
4. Great! How is the track turning out so far?
Raw (and pretty bad-ass!) We found that we had a lot of the same interests in terms of music and movies as the Warface guys, sometimes it was like “C’mon guys let’s stop talking and get back to work!”
5. Recently, you have also worked in the studio with Delete, how was that?
Delete came over to our place to work on a collab and it’s still in its first stages. At the moment, we’re really busy in the studio working on collabs and also some solo tracks, we have so much going on! Also, working with Ryan so far is great, he’s a cool guy and it was obvious to work with him!
6. Cool! Now a bit more about your sound. It’s quite a rough and raw, but it still has the quality in there. What was your decision to develop your sound this way rather than taking an easier route?
Well, this is who we are and this is why we like the music. We try to develop quality music and make what we like to make as well as music that we like to play. We also make music with all components that a track should contain.
7. So speaking of that, what are the most important things that a track should contain?
A good kick, a great atmosphere, catchy vocals and also screeches – we love screeches! Far beyond hardstyle was using screeches, it was already utilised within hardcore music and other music, it’s natural for us to use that within our tracks!
8. This year has been absolutely huge for you! Your track “Godcore” with The Machine was absolutely huge! It was played at so many parties such as Qlimax, how did this impact your career?
In a pretty good way of course! For us, it was not for the career boost but it meant most for many people to play it, including some of our heroes. We had a lot of good times in 2014 and next year we are doing “The Motherfucking Godcore Tour” which is something we’re really looking forward to!
9. And where exactly is the “Motherfucking Godcore Tour” taking you?
Out of Leishout first of all! *Laughs* We’re going to explore the boundaries of Europe!
10. Wow! And do you find that you have a big fan-base not only in The Netherlands but also in other countries?
Yeah, definitely. We have lots of Scottish, Australian, American and even Brazilian fans! It’s unreal to have people on the other side of the world that are so into our music. We love our fans – they inspire us to make music!
11. Which country is at the top of your bucket list to have a gig in?
Easy. Australia! That would be a dream come true.
12. Good answer! So 2015 has just begun, what are some of your goals within music?
We made a joke about it a couple of hours ago, one of our goals is to release our ‘curse’. The curse is that everytime we are playing in a live-set, our track is cut off or something – every time there’s something! We want to break this curse, we already have a voodoo doll! *Laughs*
Nah, in 2015 we’re going to take it even higher and bigger – the two collabs and the tour is a really good example of that! Bring it on!
13. Great! So now I want to talk a little bit about The Magic Show, you guys have been on the label for quite some time. Are you connected with the other artists on the label? Is it like a family?
We’re looking over your shoulder now at Alex (Envine) and although he is completely different to us in terms of music, we’re great friends and we always offer feedback on new tracks! That’s how it goes with the artists at The Magic Show, we all want to help each other!
14. Yes, at The Magic Show it’s a very versatile label – you have euphoric artists such as Envine and also you guys and The Machine. It is like a family as you said!
Very true, it is a passion that we all share. We all do it together as a family and although were all individuals, we all understand and support each other.
15. Finally, what did you guys eat for breakfast?
Joost: Normally I don’t have breakfast but today I had some bread from the oven and cheese spread.
Mark: I don’t do breakfast. From a little boy I never ate breakfast and this hasn’t changed!Cassi: Breakfast is very important guys!
Mark: Well, what did you eat for breakfast?
Cassi: Ah… Nothing today…
Mark: Ah, somebody told me that breakfast is very important!
Thanks for chatting with me guys, that was definitely a great start to the new year! Next time, I will remember to eat breakfast!
We wish you all the best with the upcoming tour, collabs and solo releases – I’m sure that we will be hearing more from The Geminizers this coming year!
Leave a Reply