The other weekend, the grandest, most illustrious harder styles event was held. Tens of thousands of lively visitors flooded into the GelreDome to witness the ‘Temple of Light.’ Shaping up to be a killer night, one particular artist on the bill who experienced an incredible evening was this years’ anthem-maker Wildstylez.
Read all about Qlimax, his new life as ‘Daddystylez’ and much more in this exclusive interview!
P.S. We’ll be giving away one signed copy of this years’ Qlimax CD, so be sure to head to our Facebook page to enter!
– Hey Joram, great to have you back on Alive at Night. First up, how are you feeling today?
Thanks! I’m feeling great today. I’m still buzzing from Qlimax, what a great night!!
– Almost two weeks ago, the ‘world cup’ of Hard Dance was held, aka, Qlimax and you had the honour to headline the night with your anthem ‘Temple of Light.’ For you, what did this year’s theme mean?
Creating the Qlimax anthem has been a big honour for me; I feel privileged and fulfilling this task was the missing piece of the puzzle. Qlimax has been the biggest and best Hardstyle event since the very beginning and performing there the other weekend was an experience that I will never forget!
– How did you incorporate the theme into your anthem?
That’s a good question. As you probably know, the Wildstylez sound and Qlimax sound are not really alike – Qlimax is quite a dark event and Wildstylez tracks are very euphoric. With that said, it was an exciting challenge to combine these two sounds to a classic Qlimax vibe. Of course, the theme and vocals were a nice guideline to produce the anthem. I think I managed to find the right balance and I’m proud of the result.
– Now, let’s talk about the interesting stuff – how did it feel to be up on that stage performing in front of over 20,000 people?
Words cannot describe the feeling. Although it was already my seventh time at Qlimax, I still wake up with butterflies in my stomach on the day itself. It is so special to stand there in front of the most dedicated crowd in the world. It’s an honour and it means a lot to me!
– Did you get to check out the party afterwards? If so, what were your thoughts on the production and stage this year?
I actually almost stayed to the end! The vibe was amazing and the stage design was surprising but awesome. Qlimax never disappoints and this years’ edition was great once again!
– All in all, what does Qlimax mean to you?
The number one indoor Hardstyle event in the world!
– This year you also mixed the infamous compilation CD. Can you tell us a little more about how you portrayed the event in your mix?
First of all, I think it’s important that the CD is a right reflection of the whole event and this means that it also should include a lot of music of the artists performing there. For instance, I included tracks by Atmozfears, Noisecontrollers and more. Besides that, I have released a lot of Wildstylez and Project One music this year and supporting my buddy Headhunterz is important to me. I think I found the right combination between euphoric, raw and experimental. I hope you guys like it as well!
– This year saw a lot of newbies taking it to the GelreDome. For you, what’s the importance of allowing upcoming talents a spot on the line-up?
The Hardstyle scene is constantly changing and the sound is developing. I think Q-dance did a great job inviting new acts like Sub Zero Project to the line-up. Doing so also keeps it interesting and refreshing for the audience.
– You’re no stranger to the Qlimax stage; does performing at this illustrious event ever get old?
Never!! I can do this over and over again and I will never get used to that special feeling on-stage.
– Alright, in other news. Wildstylez just became ‘Daddystylez’ – congratulations! How’s fatherhood going so far?
It’s great! All the clichés are true, haha and I really love being a dad. He’s a satisfied little man and he helps me to gain a normal rhythm in life. 😉
– Have you already felt ‘life as you know it’ change since the birth of your son?
Partly, yes. Of course you have a great responsibility, but I still have enough time to work in the studio and I still have my gigs during the weekend. I actually only had one weekend off and that was really great, because of course I had to figure out that whole daddy thing, haha.
– Do you think it’s possible to still maintain a good family life at home with a career that requires a lot of travelling and touring?
Absolutely. I might be off touring in the weekends, but during the week I have enough time to spend with my family.
– Music-wise, aside from the Qlimax anthem, new Project One music has been revealed. How does it feel to have revived this incredibly successful concept from your early days?
I really enjoy working with Headhunterz in the studio. Creatively, we bounce off each other and always feel extremely inspired whenever we team up. So of course, it feels great to work on this new chapter together!
– Before we wrap this interview up, what can we expect from Wildstylez in the coming months?
I cannot tell you too much about it, but I am working on several cool plans and ideas. More info will be revealed soon, so keep your eyes out. 🙂
– Finally, think you know the go on this one. But what did you eat for breakfast today?
Brown bread with ‘vlokken’. 😉
Before we wrap things up, we’re giving away ONE Qlimax CD, signed by Wildstylez himself. Wanna win? Jump online, head to our Facebook page and enter the comp. For those wanting to purchase this years’ compilation, you can do so here: https://Qdancecomp.lnk.to/Qlimax2017ec
Huge thanks to Wildstylez for this interview and Be Yourself Music for teeing up this awesome giveaway. Be sure to stay tuned on all things Wildstylez at his socials below.
Leave a Reply