Gilles Gaspar, or better known as up and coming melody genius Unsenses has been on fire throughout 2016 and well into the New Year! Representing Belgium amongst big-leagues like Coone, Lowriderz and Hard Driver, this Dirty Workz-signed artist has conquered the scene with immaculate productions such as “Lose My Ground” featuring Thom, “Home” and “Code Of Destiny” alongside Mandy and Denza.
Recently dropping his revolutionary vlogging series, titled ‘This Is U,’ Unsenses has welcomed in his fans with open arms, as he aims to let people know him on a deeper, more personal level. With the first episode now out in the open, we decided to holla at Mr. Unsenses for a well-needed catch up!
– Yo Gilles! Thanks for this interview, it’s great to catch up again. How’s 2017 treating you so far?
Hi! Thanks for having me – AAN is always a good plan! 😉 2017 is going great, really. I’ve just released the first episode of ‘This Is U’ and I’m working on that many new Unsenses ‘projects’ that I can’t even find the time to share my progress on social media, haha!
– Can you speak about some of your biggest highlights and moments from 2016?
2016 was a huge year for me. I signed a contract with Dirty Workz, which feels like the best decision I’ve made in my life so far. I feel safe knowing that the DWX team are spreading my music around the globe in such a responsible and dedicated way. 2016 was also the year that I received the opportunity to perform at Reverze for the very first time. Believe me, I never expected this to happen, but it did. Besides that, I also moved to Platform Agency, who have been handling my bookings in a way I’ve never experienced before. So, yeah, 2016 was a huge year for me!
– Alright, enough about 2016 – let’s get down to business! So the other week you revealed your latest project titled “THIS IS U.” Can you tell our readers a little more about it?
I’m always searching for cool concepts that fit me and also allow me to interact with my fans. I really want those who listen to my music to also be involved with Unsenses, so with that in mind I came up with ‘This Is U.’ It’s simple, but straight to the point; my goal is to have my fans confidently saying “I know Unsenses!”
– How will “THIS IS U” connect you with your fans?
I think I’m a humble and easy-going person who communicate with others and discuss various topics. Aside from that, I want people to know the person behind Unsenses, so we can catch up at a gig and have a laugh, or a drink together. I know deep down that I cannot answer every question, or talk to everybody at every gig, but I always try to do my very best!
– The realness and quality of it actually reminds me a little bit of Headhunterz’ ‘From Within’ vlogs! We’re you inspired by his vlogs at all?
Yeah of course! The real question is, who isn’t inspired by him…? Headhunterz is the king of vlogs in my opinion, haha. Whilst I was watching the episodes, my ‘bond’ with Headhunterz became even stronger than it already was and that’s why I made the decision to catch my followers’ attention with some personal content.
I chose to not use a ‘selfie-cam’ because I don’t like recording myself constantly and I prefer the freedom. So, two or three times a month I call Adrie (the camera guy) when I’m about to do something cool, funny or just random. This way, I’m comfortable with doing all these things and it keeps the quality of the recording the way I want it to be.
– I also love the featured track you used in the kiting part. Can you speak a little bit more about this track?!
That’s actually my first Dirty Workz release called “Lose My Ground.” I still get goosebumps whenever I drop this one live – like, every single time!
– All in all, I loved the video and can’t wait to see the next episode. How often will you be releasing them?
As you can see, I prefer quality over quantity, so I’m thinking about releasing an episode every two or three months.
– What other aspects of your life are you planning to show in “This Is U?”
What I love, what I hate, my family (because they really made me who I am), how I work in the studio, what I do in my spare time and so on… There are no boundaries! 😉
– For you, what’s the importance of having your fans know you as Gilles and take a peek into your personal life?
I don’t like hiding and I have nothing to hide from. Nowadays, you can find so much content about every single person online and I’d rather tell my story myself. Besides that, I’m aware of the flipside of sharing content on the internet. There are limits, such as my family’s privacy and that’s where I’m drawing the line.
– A lot of DJ’s nowadays are ‘vlogging.’ What makes ‘This Is U’ so different?
The majority of vlogs I’ve been watching are about artists who’ve already made it to the top of their game. I feel like one of the guys who are fighting for his little spot in a big musical world – that’s why I think that I can give my fans another view into the world of Hardstyle. By the way, I’m always open to feedback, so feel free to leave a comment and let me know what you like or don’t like about ‘This is U.’
– Enough vlog-talk and let’s chat about some music! You’ve released some huge tracks recently and your name has been soaring. How does it feel to be on the verge of a huge breakthrough?
I never expected to receive such great responses and reach on my ‘euphoric’ tracks, especially in a scene where ‘raw’ Hardstyle is so popular. When it comes to music, I just follow my heart and continue doing my thing.
I wouldn’t call it a ‘huge breakthrough’ myself, but I definitely hope to connect more people with my music and spread the feeling and quality of Hardstyle around the world!
– Your track “Code Of Destiny” has done extremely well! Can you tell me a little more about this track and what it was like to work with Denza and Mandy?
Last summer the three of us were told that we would get the chance to play at 10 Years Dirty Workz as a B2B2B (back 2 back 2 back) act and the first thing that came to mind was to make a track together! So, after three studio sessions together we finished our collab and played it for the first time in front of thousands of people in a fully packed Lotto Arena. The response was so overwhelming that we decided to make a video-clip around it (which I made myself, by the way). It’s all about three kids with one dream – our ‘Code Of Destiny!’
– You’ve built up quite a solid signature sound that is melodic, yet powerful. Can you describe your sound a little further and the direction it will be taking in 2017?
Honestly, I’m not the type of guy who sits in the studio 24/7 just designing new sounds to make my ‘mark’ on the world of producers and audio engineers. I love music and after years and years of exploring and trying, step by step I was able to create my own. Like I said in the first ‘This Is U’ episode, my studio sessions mostly start with creating melodies and searching for the right vibe, a vibe that gives me goosebumps. For me, creating music is translating my emotions into sound; the sound of a certain track has to match the emotion and feeling in its atmosphere. I love Hardstyle, and that’s what I want to spread in 2017!
– Festival season is just a few months away; can you speak about your excitement for the summer?
My summer is already looking so good! I’ve just announced my first festival booking for 2017, which is at Sunrise Festival in Belgium and I can’t wait to reveal the rest of my bookings! By the way, there’s one HUGE gig coming up, but I’ve already said too much now… 😉
– Before we finish up – can you let our readers in on any cheeky exclusives?!
I’ve got a brand new solo track coming up, which just requires a few finishing touches! We’re also working on the video-clip at the moment, so it’ll be ready to drop around early March!
– Finally, I think you know the go with this one. What did you eat for breakfast today?
Haha, to be honest, I never eat breakfast – it seems that my need for food experiences some delay. I wake up between 8 to 10AM (depending on what I did the night before) and usually I eat ‘breakfast’ around 13:00, then dinner at 19:00 and a late night snack around midnight, just because I can! 😉
A big thanks to Gilles for this interview. We look forward to catching the following episodes of his ‘This Is U’ series. For those who haven’t yet watched his awesome vlog, be sure to check it out! While you’re at it, sharing is caring, so spread the word amongst your Hardstyle-loving friends.