Head-to-toe with ink, sporting ever-changing hair colours and confidently rocking an extravagant outfit, some of you may have witnessed Icha in action as she tears apart the decks at various Hardcore concepts, some of you may be hooked on her expansive Uptempo sound and some of you may have no idea who I’m talking about. Either way, you’d better get to know her, because this bad-ass bitch is ambitious as hell and taking the Hardcore scene by storm!
As part of our ‘Female Fighters’ week, we pulled Icha aside to run through the basics of her ever-changing hair colour, her love for Hardcore and much more!
– Yo Icha, what the fuck is up?!
Yo! I’m living one busy fucking life at the moment, but enjoying every fucking moment of it!
– Let’s get down to business. You’re undoubtedly Hardcore’s baddest b*tch, so can you make one bad-ass introduction about yourself for our readers who don’t know you?
I’m a bad b*itch; my heartbeat begins at 190BPM when I wake up and ends at 200. I’ve got a huge passion for producing and DJing. I’m also an energetic person with a lot of goals in my life and I’m not going to die ‘till I’ve achieved them.
– You signed to Neophyte Records back in 2015; how did you get in touch with the label? And how does it feel to be a part of one of Hardcore’s biggest platforms?
It all started when I had my first big booking at Harmony of Hardcore. Before my set I was nervous as fuck and DJ Panic began speaking to me, asking if I would be interested in a meeting. Well, I almost died of excitement at that moment, haha! A week later I went into the Neophyte Records office and it immediately felt like home.
– You recently released your ‘Bulletproof’ EP; can you speak a little more about the EP and the response it’s gotten so far?
Yaaas! I was busy with the track “Bulletproof” for a very looong time. The track “Hot” was already out in the open for quite a while, so I had a lot of people asking me where the fuck it was, haha. Both tracks are now finally released and have gained support from a lot of DJ’s, including Miss K8, who played it on the Syndicate mainstage :).
– Alright, I just can’t keep up with your ever-changing hair colours – what’s your current hair style/colour?
Black curls. As black as my soul.
– Your fashion style is totally out-there and you always look awesome! For you, what’s the importance of being able to express yourself through your image?
Well, because of my ‘easily bored’ mentality, I love to change a lot. It looks like I’m always busy with my hair and style but to be honest, if I see or think about something cool then I want it right away! And I’m a girl with a lot of ideas, so it will be a never-ending story…
– You are also a massive lover of ink; how many tattoos do you have in total?
My blood-type is ink! I’ve got 18 tattoos at the moment and counting :). I recently booked an appointment for my back and fuck, that is going to be one hell of a fucking piece!
– Which tattoo is your favourite/most personal and why?
The one on my hip. It reads “Trust no man. Fear no bitch.” This tattoo doesn’t need an explanation anymore.
– You represent the popular Uptempo Hardcore movement; what are your general thoughts about Uptempo and the genre’s quality?
Oh man, I love Uptempo. The energy, the crowd, the adrenaline, the dedication, do I need to say more? The quality is always better than the songs from 1960 and people still listen to those songs without complaining… 😉
– What would you like to see/hear from Uptempo productions in 2017?
MORE METAL IN TRACKS PLEASE! Haha!
– After collaborating with fellow girl boss DaY-mar to create “Black Flowers,” you ladies have teamed up for exclusive performances too! Can you tell me a little more about the Black Flowers concept and some of its future plans?
All I can say is that it’s going to be insane! We just had our press photo-shoot and finished a few tracks. I already love to work with DaY-mar because she’s really inspiring and we match each other quite well. This might sound cheesy, but you should all keep an eye on the BLACK FLOWERS Facebook page.
– As a pioneering female in a male-dominated industry, do you feel as though you have to ‘prove’ yourself more than your male colleagues?
Honestly, I never had the feeling that I had to prove myself because I’m a female. Buuuuut, I had to (and still having to) prove myself as a DJ. I think this is because I’m a half dude too, and nobody has ever really seen me as a ‘girly’ girl.
– Instead of using sexuality to forward your career, you have more of a rougher, bad-ass image – what’s the importance of staying true to yourself?
Don’t wear or do things to impress others… Impress yourself…
– What are your hopes for the future for female DJ’s and producers in Hard Dance?
To be heard more.
– Can you share some exclusive Icha news with our readers?
I’m working on a remix with Neophyte, as well as a collaboration with Angernoizer and of course, new solo tracks. Finally, as I mentioned earlier I’m really busy with the Black Flowers project, so be sure to keep an eye out for it.
– Time to wrap this interview up with our signature question. What did you eat for breakfast today?
I just had breakfast in bed whilst answering your questions. I ate two pieces of baked bread with cheese and green tea, to keep the balance.
– Thanks so much for this interview Icha, we hope to catch you for a drink (or 10) sometime soon!
Let’s go for 30!